Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Innocence lost

Well, it happened. And I know I should have been preparing myself through prayer and medication but I really didn't expect it to happen this soon.

14 went to an end-of-year school party ... and when I picked him up at 11pm, he was hammered. HAMMERED! Fortunately 14 likes to tell me in great detail everything he does so he told me exactly how much he had to drink. 3 beers and lots of shooters mostly consisting of vodka. I spent the entire drive home quizzing him with "are you going to throw up?" And once home encouraged him to drink water.

 The crazy thing was how many drunken teens were wobbling around the property, across the street from the property, in the middle of the road in front of the property - there were at least 50 (14 said 80) and this was a really nice house on a really nice street in a very expensive area (annex/yorkville) and the parents were supposedly home. One 14-year-old boy was vomiting on their lawn and then passed out according to 14, I may have referred to this boy as freakishly tall boy in previous posts ... or perhaps not.

I get the sense that the parents lost control and evicted everyone just before 11:00 and while I was waiting in my car for 14 to jump in, I assumed every car that turned the corner would carry police.

I think my shock over the permissiveness of the parents and how drunk the underage kids were, kind of overshadowed any sense of irritation towards 14.  What if something had happened to the kids? Specifically the one vomiting and then passed out? Did the parents leave him outside? I'm really a bit horrified.

And to think I asked 14 if he wanted to take pop and chips to the party.

No comments:

Post a Comment